In 2004, the one-room Boogersburg School (1877-1952), built for Patton Township children by Centre Furnace ironmaster and farmer Moses Thompson, was given to the Historical Society by Society members Bob Struble and Susan Crary.
Closed for many years, it was used as an art studio by sculptor Sybil Grucci, until its purchase by the Strubles. The Strubles, winners of a 2003 CCHS Excellence in Historic Preservation award, have beautifully restored and furnished the building for use in interpreting school life in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
It has become a favorite museum resource for the many local elementary school children who have visited the school since its opening. We look forward to continuing to offer the rich educational experiences and opportunities for children (and adults) that the Strubles have so successfully initiated and carried out.
The Boogersburg School is located on Fox Hill Road in Patton Township. If you are interested in scheduling a group tour of the Boogersburg School, or have questions about the programming and volunteer opportunities currently being offered, please contact coordinator Sharon Childs at (814) 861-6953 or firstname.lastname@example.org.