Touring the Centre Furnace Mansion
Take a Virtual Tour of the Centre Furnace Mansion
Welcome to the Centre Furnace Mansion. This was the home of Centre Furnace ironmaster Moses Thompson, his wife Mary Irvin Thompson, and their family. Moses Thompson donated 200 acres of land to initiate the Farmers' High School - which later became Penn State University. The Mansion is now the headquarters of the Centre County Historical Society. The house and grounds have been restored to their 19th-century splendor. We invite you to join us on a tour!
- Office Hours: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Mansion Tour Hours: 1:00-4:00 p.m. Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. (Group tours by appt.)
- Mansion tours are free, and open to the public. Donations are welcome (suggested $4.00).
- Please allow 1 hour for a tour. Arrivals after 3pm may get an abbreviated tour.
- The first two floors are handicap accessible.
- Gardens & Grounds Hours: Dawn to dusk, the beautiful gardens and walking paths at the Mansion and Furnace Stack are open to the public. Interpretive signs are found along the trails. Paths are handicap accessible; the grounds are a natural rolling terrain, but generally accessible with assistance.
- Boogersburg Schoolhouse Tours: By appointment. Grounds open dawn to dusk.
- Group Tours Welcome: Please click here for additional information on how to schedule a school tour for your public, private, or homeschool classes; scout troop; PSU alumi group, etcetera.
- Archives: Researchers requesting use of archival records should make an appointment.
- Research Requests: Conducted by volunteers. Please allow 2 weeks for processing.
- Holidays: CCHS is closed for Thanksgiving Weekend, the Sunday after the annual Stocking Stuffer Sale (approx. 1st Sun. in Dec.), the week between Christmas and New Year's days, Easter weekend, and most National public holidays.
- Inclement Weather: CCHS follows the delays / closings of State College School District.
It is advised to call ahead to ensure someone is at the Mansion. We have a small staff of two individuals, and occasionally we are closed for off-site meetings.
Centre County Historical Society (CCHS)
Centre Furnace Mansion
1001 East College Avenue
State College, PA 16801
(The corner of College Avenue/Route 26 and Porter Road, 1 mile from Beaver Stadium and
the Central Pennsylvania Convention & Visitors Bureau.)
Phone: (814) 234-4779